Hear Music announced today that it will release James Taylor’s exceptional collection of covers from notable recording artists from the fifties, sixties and seventies. The album is aptly titled ‘Covers’ and will be available at all traditional retail outlets and Starbucks Company-operated locations in the U.S. and Canada on September 30.
“An album of other peoples’ music is something I’ve been wanting to do for years,” says Taylor. “I’ve enjoyed performing these songs over the years but to record them live in a room with these incredible musicians was just extraordinary.”
The album was recorded last January when James Taylor gathered his ‘Band of Legends’ for a rare 10-day recording session in a converted barn on his property in western Massachusetts. Band arrangements of material featured on the album include covers of Big Mama Thornton’s version of “Hound Dog,” Junior Walker’s “(I’m A) Road Runner” and “Wichita Lineman,” (one of the most revered country songs penned by Jimmy Webb). These songs were improvised on the spot and recorded live with some of the best players in popular music.
The recording sessions included musical heavyweights Luis Conte, Michael Landau, Jeff Babko, Lou Marini, Arnold McCuller, Jimmy Johnson, David Lasley, Walt Fowler, Andrea Zonn, Kate Markowitz, Steve Gadd, and Larry Goldings. James Taylor and his ‘Band of Legends’ have been previewing the new material this summer to rave reviews.
Over the course of his career, James Taylor has sold over 40 million albums, and won over 40 gold, platinum and multi-platinum awards as well as five GRAMMYÂ® Awards. Taylor’s first “Greatest Hits” album earned him the RIAA’s elite Diamond Award, given for sales in excess of 10 million units in the United States. In 2000, Taylor was inducted into both the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the prestigious Songwriters Hall of Fame. In February 2006, The National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences named Taylor its MUSICARES Person of the Year.
James Taylor was recently nominated for an Emmy for the PBS – Great Performances broadcast of his One Man Band, a CD/DVD set of live recordings which Rolling Stone Magazine described as “an artistic snapshot of his life” and career to date.
Covers Track Listing:
1. It’s Growing (William Robinson, Jr.-Warren Moore) – made popular by The Temptations
2. (I’m A) Road Runner (Edward Holland Jr.-Lamont Dozier-Brian Holland) made popular by Jr. Walker & the All Stars
3. Wichita Lineman (Jimmy Webb) made popular by Glen Campbell
4. Why Baby Why (Darrell Edwards-George Jones)
5. Some Days You Gotta Dance (Troy Johnson-Marshall Morgan) made popular by the Dixie Chicks
6. Seminole Wind (John Anderson)
7. Suzanne (Leonard Cohen)
8. Hound Dog (Jerry Leiber-Mike Stoller) Big Mama Thornton inspired arrangement
9. Sadie (Joseph Jefferson-Charles Simmons-Bruce Hawes) made popular by The Spinners
10. On Broadway (Jerry Leiber-Mike Stoller-Cynthia Weil-Barry Mann) made popular by The Drifters
11. Summertime Blues (Eddie Cochran-Jerry Capehart)
12. Not Fade Away (Norman Petty-Buddy Holly)