The lawn maintenance and landscaping industry continues to expand as more people seek professional services. Companies in the industry range from national chains to small businesses that are locally owned and operated.
You can engage the services of these companies to ensure your lawn is healthy and manicured. Service professionals in the industry can assist you in getting the results you want, freeing you up to do as little or as much work on their own as you want.
Lawn and landscaping services offer a variety of services, which determine the types of payment and prices. You should therefore realistically determine what services you require before engaging the services of the company.
- Tree/shrub care: Shrubs and trees that are manicured enhance your property’s overall aesthetic appeal. Some service providers trim shrubs and trees and also treat them for diseases and pest infestation.
- Fertilizer: Look for a lawn service that will fertilize your yard and offer weed control to ensure that your lawn looks lush and green throughout the seasons.
- Irrigation: It is essential that your lawn gets the right amount of water. Sprinklers and irrigation systems make watering your lawn simple, but maintaining those systems can be complicated. Some landscapers will ensure your irrigation systems work efficiently.
- Aeration: This involves poking small holes in your yard to allow nutrients, fertilizer, and water to reach the roots of the grass. Many companies that provide fertilizing services also provide aeration services.
- Mowing: You might think all lawn and landscaping companies provide this service, but not all companies handle it. Be sure to ask about all the services provided before hiring the company.
- Hardscape design and installation: This involves all landscaping services that do not involve care of plants. These include creation of outdoor rooms, building of retaining walls, and installation of fountains. Some landscaping companies offer these services while others refer you to local contractors.
How frequently you require lawn and landscaping services is determined by your specific needs. Take into account how much energy and time you want to invest in your yard before picking a service.
- One time: You should probably hire a smaller lawn and landscaping company for a one-time service if you’ve just bought a home with an out-of-control yard that you intend to maintain by yourself once any green waste has been eliminated, or if your need your yard cleaned up and cleared after an especially horrible winter season.
- Weekly/bi-weekly: This might be best if you want your lawn looking great, but don’t have the energy or time to fertilize and mow it. A number of companies provide a regular yard maintenance service.
- Seasonal: Green spaces such as lawns typically need additional work at the beginning and end of the growing season. As a result, a number of companies come in once in the fall and once in the spring to clear yard waste from the previous months, and to give your lawn, shrubs and trees a nutrient boost.
Bill G. Reinke is a gardening enthusiast working for one of the leading lawn service providers in Fresno, California. He also writes and blogs about garden care in his free time. Visit His blog here for more information.