Thousands of aged persons and people with disabilities face mobility difficulties in their day-to-day lives. They have difficulties moving from one place to another, something which definitely interferes with their routine life. Such difficulties make them fully dependent on others whenever they want to move from one place to another.
With such challenges, some people tend to seclude themselves from normal activities like going for shopping, using public transport and other activities. Fortunately, transit wheelchairs are meant to help people who are facing functional mobility problems. In fact, getting transit services could be the best help you could give to yourself or your loved one. Wheelchairs, scooters, crutches, walkers and canes are some of the best assistance devices that help people with disabilities and the aged move around freely.
However, owing to the fact that wheelchairs are the most sought after, here are 5 tips for buying a wheelchair for you or your loved one.
- Talk to a doctor – The first thing you should do is to talk to an occupational therapist. Depending on the person’s specific condition, the doctor will be able to advise on which type of wheelchair is best for you or your loved one. The therapist will also advise you on whether to go for a manual or a power wheelchair so that you can be comfortable in your condition.
- Find the perfect seat size – Although most wheelchairs have standard seat sizes, please be sure that you are getting the right size for you or your loved one. The seat should be comfortable with arm rest and of course with the ability to hold your loved one’s weight. If the person using the wheelchair will be on it for long hours, it would be best if you also buy a cushion for extra comfort.
- Find a wheel chair with additional features – If the person using the wheelchair wants it for his or her day to day activities, it is obvious that he could use some extra features like a cup holder, cane holder or a backpack holder. Therefore, when purchasing your wheelchair, ensure that you find one that is going to be more than just a mobility device.
- Find a wheelchair that is foldable – A foldable transit wheel chair will perfectly fold to fit in a car. Therefore, for ease even when traveling, find a wheelchair that is foldable. This will make you or your loved one comfortably travel with family and friends for vacations, shopping, and road trips or just basically be part of your family time.
- Get recommendations – Fact is, there is someone who has been in your position before. Therefore, talk to friends or colleagues to help you find the best wheelchair. If you can find one to help you make a decision, take your search online and find positive customer reviews and recommendations. Feedback from previous buyers can be very useful, especially when you don’t have an idea of what to go for or even where to look.