The right equipment for your operations is very integral to your success in your endeavors. Large vehicles and their contents, for instance, must be weighed and this is done by a weighbridge. A weighbridge is a set of scales on a concrete foundation. It is used to weigh vehicles, both rail and road, in order to calculate the load that the vehicles carry. Weighbridges are so important that punitive measures are put in place by the law to discourage those that might flaunt the rules.
Considerations for constructing a weighbridge
Constructing a weighbridge is no mean feat. Consider the weight of the vehicles to be weighed. That alone is enough evidence that the construction of a weighbridge is to be taken very seriously indeed. A mistake could mean loss of lives. No one wants that.
A few factors to consider when constructing a weighbridge are:
- The gross weight of the weighbridge
- Part length
- Type of weighbridge
Other considerations include pit construction, as well as the excavation of land. Most importantly, you need information on the manufacturer that you will entrust with this very important endeavor. You must ensure that you have the right appliances,for example Ultrahawke Equipment or other highly manufatured equipment to work with.
Why is a weighbridge important?
- If loads are left to owners’ devices, the damage on roads would be catastrophic and road users would be forced to meet the costs and consequences. This could cost quite a lot of money in road charges alone.
- Overloading of any vehicle is potentially hazardous to drivers and other road users. This hazard is increased a hundredfold when huge trucks are involved. It is next to impossible to control a big overloaded vehicle, especially when It is a nightmare to imagine one hurtling down a hill at top speed. You must ensure that your vehicle meets the requirements of the law, as well as work to keep your drivers safe and to ensure the safe arrival of your goods. If you flaunt the laws, you could end up paying hefty fines.
Uses of weighbridges
They serve two mainfunctions:
- They charge by weight over the bridge. If your weight is over the recommended, your vehicle or goods could be confiscated and you could be fined. It is therefore always necessary to ensure that your vehicle does not go over the recommended weight.
- They weigh both axle and gross vehicle weights. This is very important in preventing axle overloading as well as evading the huge fines and possible losses.
Industries that require weighbridges
Any manufacturing plant that deals with the manufacture and transportation of bulk items should be fitted with a weighbridge. These include:
- Mines and quarries
- Dealers in garbage dumps and recycling plants
- Bulk powder and liquid
- Household items
- Electrical apparatus
Investing in the right engineering apparatus like Ultrahawke equipmentis vital to the success of your business as it will go far in ensuring that you have the right equipment for your business needs, which will save you a lot in terms of money and stress.