When you’re on a keto diet, it’s important to keep carbohydrate intake low and consume high-fat and moderate protein. However, this can be challenging because a lot of people are used to high-calorie snacks. So what keto snacks can you munch on to help you attain your weight loss goals?
Many people find maintaining a keto diet more difficult than they initially expected. One reason for it is the lack of information on what foods are allowed or not allowed in a keto diet. In this post, you’ll learn the best keto snacks suitable for a ketogenic diet, so you’ll be guided accordingly and won’t waste all your weight loss efforts.
Guacamole has minimal carbohydrate content, and it’s richly loaded with healthy monounsaturated fats, making it a perfect low carb and high fat keto snack. You only have to make sure not to eat chips and other carb-heavy foods that are commonly served with it.
Here’s another simple avocado recipe for snacking:
- Prepare all the ingredients you’ll need, including avocado, berries, and crushed nuts.
- Slice a half medium-sized avocado.
- Slice berries into smaller pieces.
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients to make a delicious keto snack.
Nuts for Snacks
Keto meals are a lot easier to plan than keto snacks because it’s challenging to find the right snacks that won’t kick you out of your ketogenic diet. Nuts, like walnuts and macadamia, are always a great choice for a keto-friendly snack because of high-fat content.
Nuts make a healthy snack, and you can munch them when watching your favorite Netflix shows and movie. However, it’s also important to consider its carbohydrate content.
Here’s a quick guide to the best keto nuts with their corresponding carbohydrate content per one-ounce portions:
- Cashews – 8.4 grams
- Pistachios – 5.8 grams
- Peanuts – 3.8 grams
- Almonds – 2.9 grams
- Pine nuts – 2.7 grams
- Hazelnuts – 2.3 grams
- Walnuts – 1.9 grams
- Macadamia nuts – 1.5 grams
- Brazil nuts – 1.3 grams
- Pecans – 1.1 grams
Fruity Nutty Snack
Nut butter makes a favorable keto snack. You can dip your favorite keto fruits, like berries and cantaloupe, in nut butter which contains low carbohydrates, moderate protein, and high-fat content.
Watermelon Summer Treat
During summertime, watermelon is a common summer fruit. It is very low in carbohydrates, which helps satisfy your sweet tooth but still keeps you on a keto. Each half cup of diced watermelon contains 5.4 grams of net carbohydrates.
When you’re on extreme dieting, there’s a higher risk of dehydration, which is not good for the body. This is why eating watermelon is highly recommended because it has high water content. A half-cup of watermelon has 4.7 grams of sugar and 23 calories. Also, this refreshing juicy fruit offers 432 IU of vitamin A.
Yummy Lemon Curd
Are you a lemon lover? Be happy because it’s one of the best keto fruits to keep you on ketosis. A low carb lemon curd is deliciously creamy and has a lemony scent that’s very relaxing after a hectic day. It’s easy to make with its only 2 ingredients: eggs and freshly-squeezed lemon juice. This simple recipe makes a great spread to your keto-friendly toast, scones, or sponge cake.
You can make your homemade lemon curd and store it in a jar. Below is a homemade lemon curd recipe that makes eight servings, perfect for a dessert. The ingredients include three large eggs, one-fourth cup of freshly-squeezed lemon juice (¼ cup), Swerve Sweetener powder (½ cup), grated lemon zest (two teaspoons), and three pieces of butter cuts.
Here are the instructions on how to make it:
- In a bowl (glass or ceramic), simmer water over a pan, whisking the eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest, and sweetener together.
- Whisk continuously until the lemon mixture thickens. It usually takes about 10 minutes.
- Observe the thickening mixture and remove it from the heat.
- Add the butter and let it sit a few minutes. The mixture will melt.
- Whisk until it is smooth and creamy.
Strawberry Sugar-free Popsicle
If your favorite fruit is strawberry, then you have unlimited ways of making it as a perfect keto snack such as a summer sugar-free popsicle. It’s a frozen treat with a hint of cream that has a low carbohydrate count which can surely satisfy your sweet tooth.
Here’s how to make a sugar-free strawberry popsicle:
- Use a whipped cream instead of a heavy cream.
- Mix mashed or blended strawberries into the whipped cream in a bowl.
- Add a little sweetener, although strawberries are already naturally sweet.
- Place the mixture in popsicle molds and put them in the freezer overnight.
Are you craving for chips while on a keto diet? Keto vegetables made into chips, like kale chips, should have less than 5 grams of net carbs that you can eat relatively freely. You can eat kale chips and dip in butter or other sauces. Other keto-friendly veggies include lettuce, asparagus, spinach, and zucchini that can be made into chips.
Here’s how to make homemade kale chips:
- Prepare the ingredients, including half-pound kale, one tablespoon olive oil, salt, and a half teaspoon of lemon juice or wine vinegar.
- Preheat the oven exactly to 300 degrees Fahrenheit or 150 degrees Celsius.
- The kale should be rinsed and dried. Make sure to remove the thick stems and tear the big leaves into small pieces.
- In the lemon juice and olive oil, toss the kale, and sprinkle on salt.
- On a baking sheet, align the kale on top of parchment paper.
- Bake it in an oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Wait until the chips become crispy.
- Toss the kale chips a few times to bake evenly.
Keto snacks are not hard to find as long as you know what they are. You can make your own keto snack recipes like lemon curd and fatty nutty salad. Watermelon and berries are sweet and refreshing fruits that are a hundred percent keto-friendly.
If you’re looking for a sweet snack, the strawberry popsicle is a great idea. Also, nuts make a perfect keto snack for movie viewing or simple chit chat with family and friends. If you’re craving for chips, kale chips make a perfect keto snack.