The use of portable routers and Wi-Fi modems has increased as a more convenient and reliable alternative to fixed-line connections. Providing the user with the amenities of Internet access and wireless Wi-Fi connectivity, the gadget market is driven by a modern individual’s desire to stay connected 24/7.
Some options include:
- Modem-capable smartphones, which use a Wi-Fi signal to distribute the Internet via the internet;
- As mobile hotspots, battery-powered Wi-Fi routers;
- Access to the Internet outside the home and office can be made easier by portable USB modems that can be connected to laptops and tablets.
The limited speed provided by smartphones and the ability to share Wi-Fi over the air quickly drain the power of mobile batteries have led to portable routers and Wi-Fi modems being increasingly chosen as a more convenient and reliable option. Having said that, if you are looking for a reliable connection, Optimum internet plans can be considered. Yes, you can bundle your internet with your phone and TV. The plans are pretty affordable and there are no data caps. Just do some research and see if it is available in your region. If not, you can go with some similar provider with amazing deals.
Let us examine some of the advantages of portable modems.
Advantages of Portable Modems
The use of a portable modem can significantly enhance an individual’s daily life in the information society.
- It provides convenience. Due to its small size, the mobile router fits easily in your pocket, allowing you to take it with you while you are on the go. A local network can easily be created and it is simple to configure. Many modern smartphones, tablets, and other devices are compatible with portable modems.
- The connection is secure. There is a built-in firewall on all routers to protect users from external attacks on the Internet. In other words, they prevent unauthorized access to your computer by securing your network. Using a public Wi-Fi network is a risky way to access the Internet.
- Multiple subnets can be created. A router can connect simultaneous Internet access to ten (or more) computers or other portable devices, including smartphones, tablets, laptops, game consoles, players, cameras, and cameras with Wi-Fi.
- Autonomy. Portable modems can function without an electrical network and will not run out of battery power like routers with built-in batteries. Portable modems do not require additional power cords to be fetched and connected.
- They are perfect for people on the go. Portable routers can be used when you cannot access the typical cable Internet: when you are in places without Internet (in nature, while fishing, in the country), or when you are on a daily trip to a cafe, the library, school, or work. Business trips and presentations are more convenient with a small device. In addition, you can use such a device even without electricity.
The advantages of modems over routers
The definitions of a modem and a router have been blurred by modern technology. Several different types of devices can connect to the Internet at the same time using a Wi-Fi router. Having different computer access points such as PCs, tablets, and smartphones is essential for an apartment or office. In most cases, portable modems do not function as routers. Nevertheless, the newly introduced solutions also have such a feature, giving them equivalent rights to routers and modems.
There are several primary advantages to portable modems over routers:
- Battery Life
Batteries power most models of routers, which is why they are only mobile when the battery is charged. They are usually connected to a power outlet or need a PowerBank to work. Portable modems connect directly to a laptop and do not need additional power sources.
Portable modems can be used with laptops as well as desktop computers. As an example, it can be used to provide laptops with non-working batteries attached to an outlet with Internet access. As with routers, it is often equipped with an antenna exit.
- Pricing Details
There is a slight difference in price between the router and a regular 4G modem. Generally, the cost is determined by the router’s battery life (average is between five and six hours; maximum is 12 hours), the option to attach an external antenna to increase Internet signal strength, and the manufacturer. Considering the Internet plan offered is also important since you will normally be tied to the pricing plan of one provider.
People who value quality and reliability should invest in a portable modem. You do not have to worry about the modem’s battery dying at the wrong time when you take it with you.
Large companies can connect their employees and corporate users anywhere with portable modems. It is possible for users to get Internet access at any special event, whether it is an industrial exhibition, a corporate retreat, or a sports event. Users are able to stay connected to the outside world. With a local network in your pocket, you can connect securely and remain independent. Always and anywhere.