Acne is one of the most frustrating skin conditions and surprisingly, it affects millions of Americans every year. According to the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), acne is one of the most common skin conditions and affects up to 50 million Americans annually. While there are many other skin conditions that require intense management, acne is more prominent because treatment exceeds $3 billion. The National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS) says that 95% of all people will experience some form of acne or other skin condition in their lives.
The effects of acne and other skin conditions include physical and psychological problems and these can completely change the patient’s life. Many people suffering from acne have permanent scarring and low self-esteem. Worse still, a larger number is affected by depression, anxiety and poor self-image.
Due to these devastating effects of acne and other skin conditions, many people are forced to look for magical treatments. Of course there are many products offering instant treatment but most of these just make things worse. The fact that your skin is already sensitive means using chemicals to try and clear the scarring will just make things worse. Some of the acne products you find in the market are dangerous and should be avoided at all costs.
Alcohol-Free Toners for Skin Disease Management
One of the best solutions to a good skin is toning. However, not all toners are the same and in fact, your doctor will tell you to avoid alcohol-based toners and instead opt for the best alcohol-free toning products.
There are many incredible alcohol-free toners that are not harsh on your skin and their effect is clear to see. They cleanse your skin and balance your skin’s PH. These toners also gently remove impurities and give you a refreshing feel without stripping your skin of its natural moisturizers. The best alcohol-free toner soothes, repairs, and softens the skin’s surface. The ultimate result is minimized appearance of inflammation and redness that is common with acne symptoms.
One of the most overlooked benefits of alcohol-free toners is the fact that they supply your skin with essential hydration and nutrients. This helps to repair the skin’s protective barrier and minimize the harsh effects of the weather on your skin. The fact that your skin needs lots of moisture makes a toner your best option if you are suffering from acne and other associated skin conditions.
Identifying the Right Skin Toner
There are so many toners with different ingredients and benefits and choosing the right one can be tricky. To help you through the process, consider the following:
- Skin type – To buy the right alcohol-free toner, you need to consider your skin type. The main skin types are:
- Dry skin: This is the type of skin that is prone to irritation, redness and dry patches, itchiness, cracking and peeling. For this, you need hydrating waters and toning lotions.
- Oily skin: Characterized by larger spores and looks shiny throughout. Try astringents to remove excess oil and also tighten pores.
- Combination skin: This is a combination of oily and dry or normal skin and is best treated using a mild, moisturizing toner.
- Sensitive skin: For this type of skin, you need the gentlest toner which is anti-inflammatory and has antioxidants.
- Brand – Take time to check the brand behind the toner you want to buy. It is advisable to go for a product that is highly rated in different reviews. If there are any complaints against the product on any forum, keep looking.
- Fragrance – Many brands add to the price of the toner because of the fragrance added but this is not a major consideration. Some fragrant extracts will worsen your skin condition because of the harsh extracts used.
- Ingredients – Take time to research the products used and confirm they are safe for use on your skin. Now that your skin is prone to irritation and inflammation,avoid products with alcohol, menthol, salicylic acid, sodium and other astringents.
- Instructions – A good toner should come with clear instructions to ensure you get the most out of the product. This helps you through skin preparation, application and how to care for your skin after application.
The Best Alcohol-Free Toners
Choosing the best alcohol-free toners is not easy now that there are so many products in the market. The following are some of the top rated alcohol-free toners in the market. A closer look at them will help you understand the features to look for:
- Thayers Alcohol-free Witch Hazel Toner – This is the best alcohol-free toner in the market right now and guarantees the user a smoother, cleaner and soothed skin. It contains organic ingredients (certified organic aloe vera and witch hazel). This toner is also fragrance-free and paraben-free and is suitable for all skin types. However, the witch hazel can be harsh on your highly sensitive skin.
- Neutrogena Alcohol-Free Toner –This is another popular alcohol-free toner made from organic ingredients. It leaves you feeling fresher and you will enjoy a clean sensation without the usual tightness and skin dryness associated with toners. There is no fragrance and the toner works to let your pores breathe for better skin health.
- GreatFull Skin Bio-Marine Toner –This is the best solution if you are suffering from clogged pores and acne. It is also perfect for dry skin and managing flaking. The product is made from natural products and provides cleansing, rejuvenation, and nourishment for your skin. There are no harmful products, preservatives or fillers in the alcohol-free toner and you are assured of better looking skin.
Other great alcohol-free toners worth mention include Foxbrim Orange Blossom Water Toner, Skin Daily Ocean Mineral Facial Toner Spray and Proactiv Revitalizing Toner to mention but a few. All these alcohol-free toners are highly rated because they contain no harmful products and they have been tested and proven to be effective in treating acne.
These toners help you manage acne and other skin conditions by moisturizing your skin, removing dirt and other harmful products, and preserving the skin’s natural barrier. They are best used after skin cleansing.