Database Administrators (DBAs) are the beating heart of a company’s success. For this reason, companies pay an arm and a leg to hire and maintain them. The world is moving fast, information is its key driver. DBAs are perhaps the people who will help companies move with the world. When information about a company gets into the wrong hands, you and I need a DBA to protect us from the mess.
To be a DBA you need a Bachelor’s degree in information technology or computer science along with advanced education and certification. Many employers seek DBAs who have three to five years of experience in database to complement their education.
Since most companies use oracle as their database, knowing what it is will be important. An oracle database is a collection of data treated as a unit. Its function is storage and retrieval of information. It is the world’s most sophisticated and complicated database. You might need oracle DBA consulting services should you have problems. As a DBA, knowledge of oracle will put you on the edge of success.
To be a good DBA, you need the following skills:
- Communication, teamwork and negotiation skills;
- Problem-solving and good analytical skills;
- Familiarity with the major data manipulation languages and the principles of data base design;
- Flexibility and adaptability;
- Good organization skills;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- The ability to create and maintain strong working relationship with fellow employees and customers;
- Business awareness and understanding of business requirements of IT;
- A willingness to keep up with the latest technology ;
- A lifetime commitment to learning;
- An understanding of legal framework with regards to data management such as the data protection act.
Where will you work as a DBA? You might be wondering where you will go after the hassle of going through rigorous degree programs and numerous certifications to become a DBA. Well, DBAs can work in any organization that uses computerized databases that includes organizations in the public, private and third sectors. IT companies employ database administrators to run their own systems or to work on client projects.
Being a DBA gives you a unique opportunity for professional development. Most of the training is however learnt on the job. It is technical in nature to ensure that you are up to date with software developments and is supplemented by short, internal or external courses as appropriate.
You may consider the following courses for advancement:
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE) – Data Platform or Business Intelligence;
- IBM Certified Database Administrator;
- Oracle Database Certification
When you are a DBA, there are other career prospects for you. Beautiful, right? From database you can easily find other opportunities in oracle DBA consulting firms, systems development, project management, network management and database infrastructure. A combination of technical and management skills may open up more strategic roles.
When you think of getting rich as a DBA, remember it takes patience to get there. When you get there, you will appreciate the journey and the destination too. If you are willing to go the path less taken, think DBA!
Mark Heinemann is an expert in databases. He offers oracle dba consulting services. He has over fifteen years experience using databases to transform companies. He is also passionate about writing and educating companies on oracle. You can find more on what he does on his website.