Realistically speaking, the advent of COVID-19 pandemic has caused a lot of changes to people, businesses, and the economy. For instance, many businesses and organizations have ceased their operations due to significant losses brought by the effects of the pandemic. Unfortunately, the moving industry is no exception.
But, despite the impact, moving is still considered an essential service. This means that people interested in relocating amidst the global health crisis can do so as long as the minimum safety standards are observed.
Thus, if you’re relocating to a new home during the pandemic, below are the five tips to consider from the get-go:
- Hire A Professional Moving Company
While it’s possible to execute a DIY relocation during the pandemic, it’s best if you pull off the process with the help of professionals. Unlike the normal process, moving in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic requires a lot of considerations for the safety of everyone involved.
That said, you should hire one of the best moving companies to help you with the transition. Most relocation professionals have a COVID-19 policy in place to make the process safer and smoother. However, if you want to ensure you choose the right service provider, the following things should be kept in mind:
- Sanitizing moving truck and equipment on a regular basis;
- Wearing of face masks and personal protective equipment;
- Observing a safe distance from other people;
- Sanitizing hands at all times;
- Conducting a temperature check before working
- Opt For A Contactless Relocation
To prevent the risk of COVID-19 infections, opting for a contactless relocation can be a good idea. Due to the life-threatening effects of the virus, it’s safer if you avoid any physical contact when moving.
For example, instead of asking for an in-person home survey, request from the moving company a virtual home survey to protect everyone from a potential infection. By doing this, you can have peace of mind knowing that you and everyone involved are safe while asking for a moving quote.
- Have A Packing Strategy
Aside from virtual home surveys, you can also make your relocation during the pandemic a great success by having a packing strategy. For example, if you want to ensure safety against getting infected, you may opt to pack your own belongings. But, in doing this, you should make sure that minimum safety protocols are observed to avoid the risks of COVID-19 infections.
Since the coronavirus can stay longer on surfaces, including the cardbaord boxes, it’s important to do the packing at least 24 hours before the big day. That way, you can avoid the possible contamination that can increase your chances of getting infected. Also, make sure to disinfect all your belongings before putting them into the boxes.
- Make Use Of Moving Apps
Another best way of moving during the pandemic is to make use of mobile applications. Since relocating in the middle of the pandemic requires a contactless transition, downloading some of the best apps can be a great idea.
The following are some applications you can use for the move:
- Zillow: With this application, searching for a new home doesn’t need to be a challenging experience. Instead of going out and looking for a new home, you can use this software to find the perfect place to relocate without compromising your safety.
- MoveAdvisor: If you want to stay organized throughout the relocation, use this mobile app to create a to-do list and a home inventory. This can guide you throughout the process.
- Letgo: Instead of organizing a garage sale after decluttering, it’s best to install this app so you can get rid of your belongings without having physical contact with other people.
- Sortly: To streamline the packing process, installing this application can be a good idea. That’s because it allows you to categorize your stuff based on your room, box, and many more.
- Be Prepared For The Moving Day
It’s essential that you’re ready for the relocation day to keep yourself and everyone safe during the move. This means implementing some safety protocols to fight the spread of the coronavirus.
During the moving day, the following measures should be considered from the get-go:
- Wear a face mask and gloves, if necessary.
- Always wash hands with soap and water. In absence, sanitize your hands with alcohol or sanitizer.
- Practice social distancing and avoid physical contact with the movers and packers you hire.
- Provide additional hygiene kit for the moving crew when necessary.
- Avoid touching surfaces as they may be contaminated with the virus.
- Prepare an essentials bag that contains items such as alcohol, masks, snacks, sets of clothes, and many more.
The Bottom Line
Indeed, moving to a new home during the COVID-19 pandemic can be an overwhelming experience. With your health and safety at stake, it’s important to follow the tips mentioned above in mind to have peace of mind. That way, you’ll not only ensure the safety of everyone against the virus but you’ll also make the whole process a great success.